Sunday, October 2, 2011

Greetings!

Welcome to Ink & Wire! I'm Megan, and mine is the voice you'll be hearing through this blog. I'm a graduate student in Library & Information Science, focusing on children and youth services in public libraries. This blog is a forum for all things library-related, as well as a home for my book reviews, book trailers, and read alike lists.

I believe it's good form to disclose your biases ahead of time, so here are a few things that color my views on library service: I love technology. I love (and am addicted to) video games. I play Dungeons & Dragons and other storytelling games. I read primarily science fiction, fantasy, and young adult lit. I'm a big proponent of intellectual freedom. I believe graphic novels are works of art and literature, not just a bridge to reading "real books". And I think "And Tango Makes Three" is the sweetest book EVER.

So, what about the name? As it says in the sidebar:
"Ink and Wire reflects the changing nature of library services in the 21st century. Paper and ink will always be treasured, but the wonder of technology continues to expand our information and entertainment horizons.

Books, eReaders, Cassettes, MP3s, Video Games, Tabletop Games, Arts & Crafts, Web Design - Ink and Wire embraces them all."

So don't be surprised to find an essay in defense of the printed novel posted immediately after coverage of a library video game tournament or praise of a new eReader. Embrace the so-called contradiction! Better yet, ask yourself...why is it a contradiction at all?

Ink & Wire. 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment