Friday, March 16, 2012

Judging the Cover: Cinderella Ate My Daughter

Judging the Cover: 
Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the front lines of the new girlie-girl culture
Author: Peggy Orenstein

Normally I see bright pink frilly covers and immediately run the opposite direction. Yep, I'm an unabashed cover-judger, and it's kept me away from some pretty decent books over the years. I gave this one a second glance, however, because the title seemed to be mocking what the cover was portraying; also, it was in the social sciences area of the dewey decimal section, so I figured there might be an interesting twist at play. It's actually a serious look at the sexualization of young girls through the media, Disney, beauty pageants, and more - a frightening world. How can we help our daughters grow out of the princess phase and love themselves for who they are? Though subject matter is far more intense than the bubblegum pink, lighthearted cover would have us believe. Is it good to have such a stark contrast between cover and content? I don't know, but it caught my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment